October 15, 2021: FSI Gators Give and Serve Week "DAY OF ACTION"!
Today is the day to volunteer with or give to local charities such as food banks and pantries. We would also greatly appreciate donations to the Food Systems Institute in support of research, education and extension initiatives aiming to reduce hunger locally to globally.
You may give to any charity you would like however for this event we are highlighting the following give and serve opportunities:
1. UF Field and Fork Campus Food Program - Help grow food for people experiencing food insecurity in our community! Volunteer time slots available at 9:00-11:00am and 2:00-4:00pm, please sign up HERE.
2. Alan and Cathy Hitchcock Field and Fork Pantry - The Pantry will be open for donations from 8:00am to 12noon, please donate items (anything unopened, unexpired and undamaged) or donate monetarily at their UF Foundation page. Learn more about the Pantry on their website and for giving ideas, visit their WishList.
3. Bread of the Mighty - Located in Gainesville, Florida, the Bread of the Mighty is accepting donations from Hunger Heroes This organization is also gladly accepting volunteers, please contact at: 352-336-0839 to arrange a time to help out.
4. FarmShare - There are donation and volunteer opportunities with FarmShare in Jacksonville and Deland, Florida. You can volunteer with FarmShare at 9am at their Jacksonville Florida location at: 1460 Vantage Way South, Suite 100, Jacksonville, FL 32218 to bag food for events occuring on Saturday. On Saturday, there are two events accepting volunteers: Twin Lakes Academy in Jacksonville, and another event at First Presbyterian Church of Deland, 724 N. Woodland Blvd, Deland Florida 32720. Contact Leighsha@farmshare.org for details.
5. Florida Food Banks - Feeding Florida unites 12 Feeding America member food banks who work with more than 2,300 community-based partner agencies to provide food directly to individuals and families in need in every community every day. They provide the necessary safety training, supervision, and personally rewarding volunteer activities. Activities vary depending on your skills, availability and size of your group. Visit their Volunteer Page to learn how you can get help!
You may also chose to donate directly to the Food Systems Institute at the University of Florida in support of education, research and extension initiatives.