Travel and Planning Funding
Global Food Systems Institute (GFSI) helps you get there! We support faculty, staff, students, and Extension professionals to engage in international work including teaching, research, and outreach to strengthen human capacity for effective food systems, primarily in the Global South. We assist with project development, identification of funding opportunities, developing multidisciplinary teams, and logistical support for international activities.
Accomplishing this mission requires faculty to engage in the global community by conducting research, teaching, and outreach around the world. GFSI will provide funds for travel expenses to support collaborative activities and the development of new funding proposals in line with the land-grant mission.
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- The program is open to all UF|IFAS faculty.
- Preference to be given to faculty newly entering the international arena, esp. assistant and associate professors with no international research, teaching, or outreach experience.
- Request up to $3,000/person/travel.
Guidelines for Submission of Request
- Up to 5 page proposal should be submitted using 11-point font, double spaced, and 1.0” margins. The proposal should include the following headings:
- Cover page with faculty name(s), affiliation(s), and contact information.
- Travel purpose, goals, expected impact, and itinerary.
- Plans for the travel, for example:
- developing a new funding proposal and list of potential funding agencies targeted,
- developing collaborative agreements with other universities, NGOs, and international agencies.
- Brief background and history of the relationship that led to the need for travel.
- List of people to be visited in country, include contact information of senior leadership to visit.
- Budget narrative and a line-item budget for the requested funds.
- All proposals will be reviewed by the GFSI Associate Director and one other faculty member.
- Applicants will be notified within two weeks of submission.
- Capacity and expertise of applicant(s), importance, feasibility, and potential impact of travel on developing new funding proposals and collegial relationships related to IFAS mission areas.
- Matching/additional funds are not required but may be needed to complete travel.
- Adherence to formatting and instructions.
- Two reports are required, shortly after travel has concluded, and 1-year later, focusing on the impact of the travel toward developing collaborations, including new funding proposals (2 pages).
- Contact information for in-country senior leadership for follow-up and possible development of MOU.
- Provide documentation of actual expenses and receipts.
- Notify GFSI once the external funding proposal is submitted and the eventual funding status of the proposal.
- Summer: May 1, 2023
- Fall: October 1, 2023
- Spring: March 1, 2024
Applications (and questions) should be submitted as one PDF file and sent to email@example.com attention: Travel Funding